Professor now

In India you get appointed as lecturer first, and then you become reader and years later appointed as a professor. In the United States, everyone who teaches at the college level can be called professor.

Teaching is a very difficult profession and I never imagined myself doing that but when an opportunity presented itself I thought why not give it a try and have this experience in life as well. I always dreaded teaching, standing in front of people and talking so I was surprised that I wanted to do this.

In December I was given the task of teaching ‘Introduction to Bioinformatics’ class in a local community college. This is the first time they are offering this class so there is no coursework they had developed, so I spent lot of time trying to come up with content for this class. Because of lack of time and vastness of this subject I had settled in for ‘Bioinformatics for Dummies’ book and my lectures are guided by that book.

Anyway, it has been four classes so far and I can’t say that I enjoy it. It is lot of work preparing for lectures, and thinking what assignments and quizzes you want to have. I do like the process of teaching and transferring my learning to other souls so in that respect it is very fulfilling role.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indian Muslims spend 12,000 crores annually on marriages and umra

Spend from your wealth

Piety and activism