Book: Freakonomics

I have heard about the book Freakonomics but never got around to reading it. So, today I took a break from my long list of work to do and head to the library to do some leisure reading. I picked up this book and few hours later it was finished and here I am blogging about it.

I am a slow reader and prefer to absorb the books that I read but this one I knew if I put down it might take a long time to get back to it. So my long reading session actually consisted of few sessions- few hours in the library, few hours in Karma Tea, then home for Asr and Maghrib prayers and then finally finished it and I should go and pray Isha.

The books gives you a new way of looking at things/issues/problems. In the movie Patch Adams, Howard Hughes tells Patch Adams that you have to look beyond the problem to find the solution. I should mention here that I was a Howard Hughes Scholar in University.

The other points the book makes is that people are generally good but if there are incentives to cheat then some will do that. Therefore, I suggest that a strong emphasis should be on building the moral charachter of individuals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indian Muslims spend 12,000 crores annually on marriages and umra

Spend from your wealth

Piety and activism